Monday, December 20, 2010

Incredible India here I come but why are there so many obstacles to reach you?!

I have always had this dream of leaving for the airport after a major exam. It was my last paper for that semester and I did what I always wanted to do - pack my backpack to school and leave for a trip immediately after the paper ended! Checked.

It was my first time out of Singapore without my family and I was going to India! I comtemplated visiting South East Asia when I proposed that idea to Swee Geok and she suggested going to India to see Taj Mahal and there we were, on our way to Incredible India!

 On grassland's coach to KL
 
Because it was cheaper to book our tickets via Airasia, which meant that we'd have to fly from Kuala Lumpur instead of directly from Singapore, we made our way to KL via bus one day before our flight to New Delhi.

For some reason, we were not allowed to board the first Airasia skybus from KL sentral to LCCT and thinking that we still had some time, we did not insist on boarding it. Not knowing how long it'd take from central to LCCT, we thought that we'd have enough time if we had boarded the next one. However, the wait for the next one was so long and the journey to LCCT itself was painfully long as well. By the time we reached LCCT, it was already half an hour before departure.

No counter staff were there and when we managed to catch hold of someone from Airasia, we were told that we could no longer board the plane because we were too late. When I asked if the plane had left and they said no, we were still not allowed to board the plane simply because, "We have already sent the namelist of the passengers boarding the plane to the captain and so you cannot board now." I suspect that they must have sold our seats to some other passengers on the waiting list and so we were busted.

 
Left without any choice, we had to top up our promotional fare to purchase another new ticket for the next day via Airasia. That also meant that we would stay in LCCT overnight. It was the first time staying overnight at an airport for the both of us and we were slightly afraid, hugging our belongings closely to our body. My huge backpack served as a mattress really well and I managed to catch quite a few winks. I suppose the most frustrating part was having to pay about S$400 more for a new ticket. Having topped up our fair and the amount that we initially paid for our air ticket meant that we could have spent that money taking SIA instead of Airasia. It was a good lesson learnt, although expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment