Monday, June 27, 2011

First day of school at SungKyunKwan University

Life has been treating me quite well these days. I am starting to get use to life on my own. I am starting to learn how to be more independent. It honestly doesn't really matter when you are alone. I find myself being able to strike a conversation with random people in a group. I just talk rubbish.

I am so thankful that I can speak a splatter of korean (after learning one module of korean language). I am able to at least communicate with some Koreans and get to some places. It really helps because here and there that I understand a little of what they speak and I can try to ask them questions. If I did not understand korean at all, I'd probably find moving around a little more difficult because we will be lost in translation. There will be this language barrier between me and Koreans because most koreans on the streets only speak Korean.

I am actually kind of loving Korea because the people here have been so nice thus far. I think that i am lucky to meet the nicer koreans because the other CBE peeps have complained about how rude/angsty some koreans are.

Baby and I bought some waffles from an Ajuma yesterday and she was so nice! Because I was taking a photo with the waffles, she came out and signalled a photo together! Today some Ajuma gave us FREE gyozas after I bought some hotdog from her! She gave us something like 10 pieces and told us to bring it back to our hotel to eat! While we were buying bags, the korean who sold the bag to us was so friendly and approachable! He kept joking with us and teasing us. Here and there, random Ajoshis will say hi to us when we camwhore!

While walking around today, Baby and I bumped into so many cute toddlers! I find it adorable how the koreans are so particular about looks even though it is so realistic and many will find it superficial. I see it as a form of respect that they want to look good for themselves and for others. Anyway we requested to take a picture with this little boy and his mum immediately grabbed his chopsticks away and neatened his hair before telling him to pose nicely for the picture! He was so obedient and we got a good picture with him!

Baby and I realised that almost ALL koreans are attached. Everywhere we walk on the streets, we see couples holding hands. It's pretty sweet! I wish that I was attached too! =((


The first day at school was fun! We watched some really awesome breakdancing by hot korean guys! They were muscular, charming and gave off cool vibes! *thumbs up* The koreans i met in my orientation group were all so friendly. there was this VERY pretty girl, one handsome guy from germany and one cute guy from korea. I honestly love looking at pretty people. I couldn't help but keep staring at the pretty korean and she's really nice.

I was late for orientation because baby and I thought that the orientation was at 5pm (it was at 4pm) so when i joined my group, everyone was already there. the pretty korean girl (i cannot rmb her name) was so nice and she gave that awwww, what a sad that you are so totally confused with the time. The germany guy is probably mixed blood. He's VERY handsome and I like his smile! He has very deep double eye lids and he's tall and big built. The korean guy was very cute! He has smiley eyes so when he talked or smiled, his eyes will form two smiles!

Lunch and dinner were both VERY delicious! I ate so much that i think my stomach is going to burst! There are loads of meat dishes in Korea and I absolutely love meat!

Lunch was with baby, Abigail, Abigail's roomie and Benjamin at an eatery near SKKU. We had this dish called spicy cheese chicken (매운 치즈 닭). The chicken was succulent and tender. After boiling for sometime, the ingredients in that dish absorbed the spicy and flavourful gravy very quickly. The onions were so sweet and tasty from the gravy. The cheese gave the gravy a slight creamy and milky texture and taste which I like because I love cheese!

spicy cheese chicken (매운 치즈 닭)

In Korea, the locals usually eat their meat dishes with toppings such as ssamjang (a thick, spicy paste ), raw or cooked garlic, onion, green pepper or a banchan (small side dishes) such as kimchi wrapped with the vegetable, Ssam (쌈).

I don't usually eat raw food vegetables but because of a lack of leafy vegetables in meals in Korea, I actually ate the chicken with Ssam. What surprised me was how well the spicy chicken blended with the Ssam. Also because the chicken was spicy, the slightly cold (taken out from the fridge) and raw Ssam provided a refreshing feeling when eating the chicken.

The meat and rice cake in Ssam

After we were about 3/4 done with this dish, the waitress came over and asked if we wanted to fry rice in. Very curious and a little skeptical about what was the fried rice was like, we waited in anticipation as the waitress whipped up the fried rice in the pan in front of us with the remainder ingredients, adding mozzarella cheese and seaweed. When she put in the two bowls of mozzarella cheese and I watched how the cheese melted, I was salivating even though I was so full from the chicken earlier. I couldn't wait to try the rice!

The product - fried rice

The fried rice was absolutely delicious! The cheese allowed the rice grains to stick together, forming a cake. When I transferred the fried rice from the pan to my bowl, it was like removing a slice of pizza from the pan and the cheese had to be pulled before it could separate from the remaining rice in the pan. What a beautiful sight for a foodie and lover of cheese like me! As the waitress was frying the rice, she sliced the remaining chicken into bits and pieces. With the smaller surface area of the chicken, it was able to dry up and char slightly, giving it a slightly burnt fragrance. The bottom surface of the rice also had a slightly burnt fragrance, that of claypot rice that we Chinese eat. I loved everything about the fried rice! Highly recommended!

Not forgetting, that eatery served this really refreshing salad as a side dish. I don't like salads because I don't like eating raw food, but this salad was so just so amazing that I kept going for refills! Instead of using lettuce, they used cabbage which was very fresh, juicy and crunchy. The dressing was light and thin yet still creamy and so you won't get tired of eating it over and over again. I find it innovative that they added this sugared corn-flakes which added taste to the bland cabbage when eaten together. Amazing!

The salad

I forgot the name of the restaurant and how to locate it but for SKKU students, you can access it when you walk out from the backdoor of the university toward the subway. It's a really small shop with wooden furniture, loads of random posters on the wall (many posters from SKKU) and a lot of students from SKKU visit it because it's so cheap! We paid only about 6 000W each for the meal. The staff are all females!

No comments:

Post a Comment